Tuesday, November 27, 2007

THE CONSTITUTION IS OUR MAJOR LEAGUE POLITICAL RULE BOOK

Okay, so once again I oversimplify things, but here is how I understand the constitution and why I think that the original intent is the only way to interpret the Constitutions.
Regardless of which political party or non partisan group of folks get together to change the course of public policy, These documents are showing the playing field and foul lines, rules for legislating and rules protecting individual liberty form tyranny, whether that tyranny be from inheritance, military power, and even a tyranny of the majority, which is often overlooked in current times. The Supreme Courts in my opinion should be Umpires and not active players setting legislation.

The recent discussions on District Only vs. County Wide elections have inspired me to look into constitutional basis for both arguments. It appears that County or citywide (At large voting for District Representation) voting may be in violation of the 14th and 15th amendments, but also several voting acts ranging from post civil war to the 1960's. I am currently leaning this direction in my thinking.

Since I hold myself to the lowest of journalistic standards, the armchair umpire...
I have added several links to our Constitutions and Charters under the RESOURCES heading. (scroll way down on the right.) The Link to the CONSTITUTION SOCIETY is the most comprehensive document source on this topic, with many documents being available in multiple formats.

As discussions and debates arise over public policy, I hope that this is a valuable resource for anyone proposing or opposing a policy change, regardless of the location that the debate is occuring. I'll weigh in on specific issues as they arise of course, and once in a while, I might just have a clue what I'm writing about...

No comments: